Wednesday, March 05, 2008

"Disagreeing without being disagreeable"

It took me 9 yrs and Senator Obama's blog (which I got referred to by the India uncut blog) to really understand one of the most positive traits for success and leadership. This my friends applies to the corporate world as much as it applies to Politics.

My blindness surprises me as the biggest example of this trait is my CEO, who I have had the opportunity to interact with for long now.

We often lose our cool in meetings, especially when it is a topic we are passionate about. We also seldom have patience with colleagues, friends who disagree with us. It could be about a promotion idea, a new product or feature discussion or it could be about something as mundane as how to drive a car by the rules. Do we discuss, talk without belittling the other?

I know people who do and they are a league apart from the rest. I have much to know and change within myself to point fingers at others here.I have grown wiser today. So I end this blog here with a quote from Obama's blog -

"In fact, I would argue that the most powerful voices of change in the country, from Lincoln to King, have been those who can speak with the utmost conviction about the great issues of the day without ever belittling those who opposed them, and without denying the limits of their own perspectives."

No comments: