Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The negotiator and his learnings

After experiencing several appraisals, I am constantly amazed how the experience and the after taste of it remains the same year on year, whether you are the appraiser or are being appraised.

Year ZERO ( moved for a high flying role to corporate office )

Boss: This is your comp
Employee: What??? I moved home...how can you do this, how will i eat?
Boss: Its fair
Employee: A US sales role at a peanuts salary.,..you must be joking
Boss: Everyone wanted this role in the company
Employee: Give it to them...this is crazy
Boss: PROVE YOURSELF first
Employee: But isn't that why you shifted me here
Boss: Yes, but we need to show everyone what you can do
Employee: huh..ok..
Boss: he he he

Year 1 ( High flying role turned sour)

Boss: This is your comp for the year
Employee: But..I came here for something else, see whats happened
Boss: we didn't know how it would go, you could've done something else
Employee: what
Boss: you doing very well now...that the roles changed..you have to PROVE YOURSELF
Employee: ok, I am not happy
Boss: hehehe

Year 2 ( Superlative performance, sales role)

Boss: This is what you get this year
Employee: But I took home 50% more last year
Boss: Thats for a superlative performance.,...you did very well, salaries sky rocket in sales over achievement...this year we don't know how you would do in the new role, you asked for the move, we didn't.
Employee: But if i did so well...shouldn't my comp be better this year.
Boss: You got loads of incentive
Employee: What about this year
Boss; PROVE YOURSELF...
Employee: isn't that what i did
Boss: No..past is forgotten..but future is important, lets see what you do tis year
Employee: But what about present now...isn't my comp based on past performance and future expectation
Boss: Yes, but we think we are fair
Employee: (totally flabbergasted) Ok I want a sabbatical for 3 months
Boss: Take one month
Employee: I am sick now, I wanna leave
Boss: ok take 3 months...no comp talk
Employee: Did i hear right?
Boss: we'll tell you what you have to do when you come back.
Employee: hehehe ok

Last year: (changed roles..no clue of whats expected and what should you do year)
Boss: This is what we thought you should get
Employee: but..why...market rate...i expected...
Boss: Yeah but this is what we didnt make ( or did make) from you...
Employee: Made from me? Should I now sell my soul?
Boss: No..just make enough for the company, You got a great role now PROVE YOURSELF
Employee: I give 9 hrs of my life everyday for years now...if you want more...tell me what can I do
Boss: No you are very good..figure it out
Employee: I want 30% more than what you mentioned
Boss: Ok lets keep it at 20% more.
Employee: Ok (hmm...aah...did i agree too soon...huh...did i quote to less)
Boss: hehehe...ok bye

(pls note no talk of training, improving, scope, etc etc etc etc...all that can make the performance better next year)

Commonality in experience: Never happy with comp whether you do well or no...always need to prove yourself whether you do well or no... The boss always gets the last word...The only happy employee took a sabbatical and for once went out of the comp race...

Life has so much more to it than work...somehow can we expand our horizons of thought and reach beyond the immediate life that we lead everyday...have a vision, but keep our eyes on here and now.

The perfect balance -the mind is important to know how here and now is important, see what you are doing...is it value adding to you and people around you
yet..be in touch with your heart and know this may not be what you really are made for..

2 comments:

Nachiketa said...

oh my god.....

i didn't know this was a pattern with everyone here.....

i felt so betrayed that it's unbelievable....

you've articulated feeling for a whole lots of us.....

i fail to understand why people can't be fair.....

am quite sure... as a boss (when i'm calling the shots, not a puppet only for delivery) i would never do what was done to me and made me feel like shit.....

Arunima said...

hehe...chill nachi...am sure everyone feels the same...even the management feels they are fair....u think expectations can ever be matched both ways?